7Monastery garden

In the medieval monastery of Broumov – a monastery fortress rebuilt from an older castle in the mid-14th century - a small area in front of the monastery church served as a garden, it was basically a moat separated from the town by a fortification wall with loopholes.

A large monastery garden behind the moat along the north side of the building was founded under Abbot Tomas Sartorius, perhaps in 1676, on land that had to be given to the monastery by the town under the so-called Transactions as a punishment for rebellion in 1618. Establishment of a new large garden probably related to the completion of the first Baroque reconstruction of the monastery after the conflagration in 1664. The size of the garden supposedly was as it is today, with no records of its original design. In the 17th century was its uneven terrain descending to the southeast rearranged to the terraces and was surrounded by walls.

In the 18th century was the garden, in the context of the Baroque reconstruction of the monastery, newly rearranged to match the monumental architecture of the monastery buildings. The man, who assigned its basic disposition, was undoubtedly the architect of the reconstruction of the monastery K. I. Dientzenhofer. As a complex in the mid-18th century the garden was rearranged in a form of a baroque French ornamental garden with green areas to be cut, initially without buildings and sculptures, with domestic vegetable garden and grafted plants in the outskirts. The central parterre was geometrically divided by ornamental rugs from combinations of broderies and areas of lawn. The rear part was dominated by alleys of pergolas, shrubs and trees trimmed and shaped into walls and arcades. The Hornbeam arcade was trimmed into a vault with a view of a pylon built in honour of Abbot Jakub Chmel. It was situated in the northeast corner was the most prominent feature of the rear side existing up until the beginning of the 20th century, similar to that of  the garden of the monastery in Břevnov.

Since the late 19th century and throughout the first half of the 20th century the garden was gradually losing its cultural character. With progressive decline of claims on the aesthetic values the financially demanding maintenance of ornamental surfaces and trimmed tree alleys and shrubs. At the end of the 19th century from the original trimmed trees only the last remnants in the upper part of the garden remained. Since the 50s of the 20th century, the garden was used for the needs of the Charity Institute for nuns. Monastic sisters grew vegetables and flowers here for their needs. Some of the buildings were used for breeding rabbits, chickens and pigs and larger areas were managed as agricultural land where corn and potatoes were cultivated.

In times of existence of the Benedictine convent, nor even in times of the Charity Institute for nuns the garden was not normally accessible to the public. In the 80s, when the city took over the convent garden, a section of the collapsed terraces and staircases was restored. The Museum of Broumovsko planned to make the garden accessible during the monastery tours, but the garden was not opened up to public until the present time. In recent years the landscape of the garden was adjusted and a large part of unsuitable trees and shrubs were cut down.

In 2014, the garden underwent a major revitalization whereby all of its premises, including functional historic alley were repaired.